Friday, May 13, 2011

Noah's Train Party {The Details}

Last month, we celebrated Noah's 3rd birthday with a train-themed party at our house.  The plan was to have the festivities outside, but the weather decided to get much colder that weekend, so we moved to plan B...a party indoors.  I had been planning this party for months and I was very pleased with how everything turned out!  I didn't want another character party this year, so I designed a new party collection, LITTLE CHUGGER that has a slight modern feel.  The color scheme is red, teal, and gray, and I incorporated some cute train graphics.  Take a look at the details below.  All the photos were taken by the amazing Nicole of Leverton Photography.


Remember Noah's invitation?  It's available in my shop now HERE.

As guests arrived at the party, they were greeted by the railroad signs I made (with some handy-man help from Sam).

the door sign welcoming guests to Noah's Station

When the little conductors came in, they received a customized Boarding Pass, a personalized conductor hat (found at Target Dollar Zone) and a choice of a teal or red bandana (found 2 for $1 at Dollar Tree).  I added the kids' names to the hats with a red paint pen.

Adult guests were asked to write a birthday greeting to Noah in his new book.

a closeup of the Boarding Passes ~ I made a template for the cover and printed them as stickers.

For the inside, I added each child's picture, name, and date issued.  Then, I printed them as 4x6 pictures, and folded them in half.  After I added the cover sticker to the front, I had a boarding pass.  After the kids rode the train, they were given a passport sticker that said, "I rode Noah's party train," to complete their boarding passes.   

I set up two tables with markers and stickers for the kids to decorate a paper train.  This kept them busy while we waited on everyone to arrive.

I used my dining table for the food & layered it with a white tablecloth and red fabric.  I wanted the food to be served in a "train," so I found the teal polka dot fabric boxes at Dollar Tree for the train cars.  I added silver cupcake liners with black construction paper circles as the wheels.  For the engine, I used my handmade candy jar full of red Twizzlers for the smoke.  My hubby attached two foam boards together with strips of wood for the backdrop.  I covered it with teal fabric and added Noah's name banner.  I found two baskets at Jo-Ann's for the plates and silverware, fancied up with teal wooden trains (also found at Jo-Ann's).    I flanked the table with cute polka dot balloons.

The train cars were filled with applesauce, chips, and carrots.  I found the wooden letter train cars to spell Noah's name at Hobby Lobby.

We also served train-shapped sandwiches (that my sweet mom & husband graciously cut out for me).

We served Locomotive Lemonade, Steam Engine Sweet Tea, and juice boxes for our beverages. 

I wrapped the juice boxes in red and teal cardstock and added my "Little Chugger Fuel" stickers to the front.

I finally got to use my new cupcake stand found at World Market, embellished with red ribbon.  I added my cupcake toppers and adorable teal and red striped liners to fancy up my cupcakes.

Noah's cupcake was delivered on top of his Thomas toy (the only place I used the actual Thomas train).  I simply attached his plate to the top of the train with a glue dot (love those things)!  I ordered a cute train candle for an extra special 3rd birthday wish! :)

I decorated our mantle with lots of train toys and pictures of Noah with trains throughout the past couple of years.

For the highlight of the party, we rented a trackless train that in Noah's words: "pulled right into his station!"  Noah pulled me down the driveway to get on the train...he couldn't get their fast enough! :)

Kids & adults alike enjoyed their train rides!

As guests left the party, they were given a wooden train whistle (found at Target Dollar Zone).

They also got a cookie that was customized with edible stickers.  I made the design, and was mailed the stickers to add to my cookies (so awesome)!  I put the cookies in clear cello bags and tied on my favor tags with cherry divine twine.

My happy 3-yeard posing with Mommy & Daddy at the end of the party

All the stress, sleepless nights, and work paid off to see Noah's beautiful smile all day as he enjoyed his train party!  I hope the memories of a fun 3rd birthday day will last him a lifetime! :)


{Vendors}
-Photography: Leverton Photography
-Noah's Birthday Shirt: The Sew Cute Boutique
-Polka Dot Balloons: Polka Dot Market
-Edible Cookie Stickers: Ali's Sweet Treats
-Cupcake Liners: The Birthday House
-Cherry Divine Twine: Endless Inkabilities

All the paper goods were designed by me and are included in my LITTLE CHUGGER party collection.  
They collection includes the following 11 files...
  • Cupcake Toppers
  • Favor Tags
  • Banner
  • Flat Food Labels
  • Tent Food Labels
  • Railroad Crossing Signs
  • Door Sign
  • Large Table Signs
  • Boarding Pass Cover Stickers
  • Boarding Pass Template (inside)
  • Juice Box Stickers
Click the picture to view the collection.



Matching invitation is available HERE.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Craft That Party said...

fantastic party! I love the idea of having guest sign a book. Such a sweet tradition that I would love to start in my house!

Leverton Photography said...

You are amazing!!! I loved the party and all the attention to detail that you put into it!!!! Sooo fabulous!!!