Friday, October 15, 2010

Blogiversary Bash {Lizard & Ladybug Guest Post}


Hi Guys...I'm Staci from lizard & ladybug.  I was thrilled when Daphne asked me to guest post this week.  I have to say, I am a big fan of Moo Moo's and Tutus.  

Not only is Daphne super talented, she is also super generous.  Have you seen her "Boo" sign???  Too cute!


I was also lucky enough to win her Dr Seuss collection a while back.  *I gifted it to my friend to use for her son's birthday (he is HUGE Seuss fan)..it's not until December but I'll be sure to share pictures!


Knowing that I'd be guest posting today..I decided to use this as a 'practice' run for a treat I want to make at my Halloween Carnival.  This is the first year my son is in pre-school and we've decided to invite the whole class...plus lots of other people.  
If everyone comes, we're talking 30+ kids. YIKES!  
I don't want to give away too many details (in case some of the parents are reading this - haha) but I did want to share my dirt cakes.  

Kids like cake..kids like dirt - why not combine them??  Throw in some worms for good luck & everyone's happy.


Here are my supplies...box mix and a tub of icing. I know, I could have made it all from scratch.  I am a big fan of box mixes and tubs of icing - plus it was on sale!


Oreos (that you will crush) and gummy worms. 


I also bought 9oz clear cups.  I wanted to make sure the kids could see the worms :)

After the cupcakes were baked and cooled completely, I cut them in half.  Plopped the bottom half into the cup.  I added some icing (it helps to put it in a Ziploc-like bag and snip the tip so you can pipe it in) and some crushed cookies.


Now the fun part..add a worm or 2.  Then add the top half of the cupcake, more icing and more cookies.  Make sure you add a few more worms to the top.


My mom actually had these wooden spoon things - they sorta look like shovels :)


I love that you can see the worm from the side...kinda like it's digging in there.  Gross and cool at the same time!  One other happy accident, I had several lids from my 'cupcakes in a jar' experiment.  Several lids with no bottoms.  
The cups I used for my dirt cakes were Solo brand 9oz cups.  The lids I have fit 20oz mobile or 16oz thirsty cups (our local grocery store brand).  Luckily for me..they fit each other.  Now I have 'dirt cakes on the go'


Of course, I'm using these for Halloween.  For the 'gross' factor.  But these would be great for a garden party, bug party, jungle party.  Any theme that may include bugs or dirt :)
 _________________________
Thanks so much for hanging out with me!  
It's such a honor when someone trusts you with their 'peeps'.  I'm so happy Daphne had me stop by today!  I hope you'll all come over to lizard & ladybug to say 'HEY'.  And stop by after Halloween...to see all the goodies from the carnival!


No comments: