Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ho! Ho! Ho! Let's Go Retro!

Last weekend, my friend, Jenny & I hosted a retro Christmas party at her house. We have been planning this for quite some time and it all turned out great! Well...all, but one thing. We got 3 inches of snow the day of the party, which means that half of our guest list couldn't make it. I know that 3 inches of snow may sound like nothing to you who get snow a lot, but here in East Tennessee, it means you don't go ANYWHERE!!! So, thank you to Scott & Megan, who braved the snowy conditions to attend our little shindig!

the invitation

I got the idea for this theme when I saw a set of vintage-inspired Christmas dishes called 'Santa's Diner." Thus, a party theme was born! I have always been captivated by the 50's ~ the clothes, music, dancing, you name it! So, the invitation suggested that the guests were "encouraged" to dress in retro 1950's attire. That was one of the best parts, I think!

Between me, my Mom, and my Aunt Tanya, I collected enough vintage Christmas decorations for the dining table, food table, and buffet. I also ordered a set of vintage reindeer and sleighs from ebay.
the entry table
I made several retro signs to go with our "diner" theme. I had a welcome sign, a sign on the restroom, an after-dinner sign, and of course, a menu sign with all our festive food names. The main menu consisted of: Holly Jolly Burgers, Festive Franks, Party Potatoes, Merry Munchies. The desserts were Peppermint Bark, Chocolate Cheer Cake, and Rudolph Pops. After dinner, we watched "It's a Wonderful Life," & enjoyed Polar Popcorn {in our cute popcorn cones} and Ho Ho Cocoa.
the tablescape & buffet

the dessert table
For our favors, I made a CD of retro Christmas songs in a cute CD sleeve. Take a look at our creative guest's 1950's attire! We all had a retro-tastic time at our party!

the CD favors

the party guests

No comments: